Recent Posts

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

The ever-present comparison....

There will always be a standing comparison to our "sister" country, Nigeria. Is Naij really the sister country to Ghana? We're always talking about each other so I dunno...

Either way, there are plenty of Nigerians in Ghana for various reasons but in regards to this educational statistic,  I'm surprised, interested, and kind of worried....

I cannot speak for Nigeria and its society, I am not Nigerian, nor do I know much. Plus, I'm kinda scared because Nigerians are highly patriotic and I don't want to say the wrong thing in my analysis.... But I know many upper class Nigerians send their children abroad for schooling. At my uni, I met many international students from Nigeria; my future hubby was one of them:)

All the same, I have heard stories that bemoan the Nigerian educational system. This is a sad white elephant in regards to how much potential Nigeria has for supporting its people. For such an influx of Nigerians in Ghana for studies, it must show a positive reflection of Ghana's higher educational system. If the lions of Africa are coming to Ghana for the "keys to a nation" (that which is proper education), then I guess I should say that Ghana is doing something right. Like all things, it needs work. But I pray they work hard to get off track and go higher.

Click the link to read and ponder.

Welcome to Linda Ikeji's Blog: Nigerian Students in Ghana Pay N155 Billion as Tui...: According to the Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Malam Lamido Sanusi, 71,000 Nigerian students in Ghana currently pay an annual t...

0 comments:

Post a Comment